Sportmix pet food recalled after nearly 30 dogs die
Half a dozen varieties of Sportmix pet food have been recalled by the manufacturer and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration after 28 dogs died and another 8 were sickened. The cause of death and illnesses has been linked to “toxic levels of aflatoxin”, a toxic mold. The dangerous levels of aflatoxin were discovered by The Missouri Department of Agriculture.
Sportmix Energy Plus, 50 lb. bag
Sportmix Energy Plus, 44 lb. bag
Sportmix Premium High Energy, 50 lb. bag
Sportmix Premium High Energy, 44 lb. bag
Sportmix Original Cat, 31 lb. bag
Sportmix Original Cat, 15 lb. bag
Aflatoxin grows on corn and other grains used in the manufacturing of pet foods. If you’re wondering if your pet is suffering from aflatoxin poisoning, symptoms include: sluggishness, loss of appetite, vomiting, jaundice and/or diarrhea. Regardless of whether your pet is exhibiting symptoms, if they’ve consumed any of the above varieties of Sportmix, consumers are advised to contact their pet’s veterinarian. Fortunately, the FDA says there’s no evidence that humans simply handling the recalled pet food can lead to aflatoxin poisoning.
To read the CBS News report on the recall, click here: https://cbsn.ws/3hIuVi1
For the FDA’s full release on the recall, follow this link: https://bit.ly/34ZETGu