Ethylene glycol is an organic compound primarily used as a raw material in the manufacture of polyester fibers and fabric industry, and polyethylene terephthalate resins (PET) used in bottling. A small percent is also used in industrial applications like antifreeze formulations and other industrial products. Used as a humectant and solvent.
Ethylene Glycol is an odorless, colorless, syrupy, sweet-tasting liquid. Ethylene glycol is only weakly toxic, but cases of poisonings are not uncommon. Very small amounts of ingested antifreeze (an ounce or less) can be fatal. Upon ingestion, ethylene glycol is oxidized to glycolic acid which is, in turn, oxidized to oxalic acid, which is toxic. It and its toxic byproducts first affect the central nervous system, then the heart, and finally the kidneys. Often times coma and respiratory failure preceed death if sufficient amounts are ingested and left untreated. Lesser effects of ingestion are depression, vomiting, and drowsiness. According to the annual report of the American Association of Poison Control Centers' National Poison Data System in 2007, there were about 1000 total cases resulting in 16 deaths. The 2008 American Association of Poison Control Centers' National Poison Data System annual report lists 7 deaths. Exposure to vapors of ethylene glycol may cause eye irritation. Exposure to liquid ethylene glycol may result in swelling of the eyelid and around and of the cornea, inflammation of the conjunctiva and iris, and conjunctival or corneal injury. Exposure to very high levels of ethylene glycol vapors causes irritation of mucous membranes and the upper respiratory tract. Exposure to levels of ethylene glycol concentrations higher than 80 ppm results in intolerable respiratory discomfort and cough. Skin irritation is a common complaint. Ethylene glycol is not classifiable as a human carcinogen. Limited studies have not found ethylene glycol to be a carcinogen. It is not known whether chronic or repeated exposure to ethylene glycol increases the risk of reproductive toxicity or developmental toxicity. Chronic or repeated exposure to ethylene glycol may lead to irritation of the throat, mild headache, low backache, loss of consciousness, and nystagmus.
There could be impurities in manufacturing of ETHOXYETHANOL or METHOXYETHANOL which are both highly toxic chemicals.
When looking for Ethylene Glycol look for: Glycol, 1,2-Dihydroxyethane, 1,2-Ethanediol, 1,2Ethanediol, 2-Hydroxyethanol, Ethane-1,2-DIOL, 1,2-Dihydroxyethane, Athylenglykol (GERMAN) ; Dowtherm SR 1; Ethane-1,2-Diol
From a Consumers Dictionary of Cosmetic Ingredients.
No articles were found