ToxicFree Foundation / Articles

Holiday Hazards for Pets

The holidays are a time spent with loved ones, and decorating your home inside and out during the season is a timeless tradition. From decorating a Christmas tree, to hanging lights, and putting out festive plants such as poinsettias and mistletoe, there are many way to deck out your home for the holidays. One member of our families we need to be especially mindful of during this time though, is our pets. Our furry friends whom we love sharing this time with face many potential hazards if we as owners aren’t careful. One such hazard that will be placed in homes throughout the world this holiday season, are Christmas trees. The pine needles that fall from the tree “can cause oral irritation, vomiting, diarrhea and weakness” if ingested by our beloved pets. Holiday flowers like Poinsettias, holly, mistletoe, and lilies can also be hazardous to our pets. Lilies are especially dangerous to cats as they can cause kidney failure if eaten. Poinsettias, holly, and mistletoe can prove problematic as they are known to cause vomiting and diarrhea if ingested by household pets. Decorating the home as a family can be a great way to spend time together during the holidays, but please be mindful of how potentially dangerous some traditional holiday decorations can be to our cherished pets.

For more tips on how to pet proof your holiday decorated home, follow the link: